Pages

Jul 20, 2010

Canning '10

Every year I do a running tally of what I have canned from our garden and other finds. This year sadly, I have nothing to work with. So much of the garden has been a flop and I have had little luck with finding other sources. The onions of course are still doing amazing and after reading Karls post about deydrating, I think I will give it a try this year. Normally the dehydrator is filled with apples, apricots, and fruit leathers but so far nothing has gone in there. Tomorrow we will have a few cabbage heads ready to harvest, after that its only the waiting game with potatoes.

So sad that they garden has been dismal this year. I am hoping to get my hands on a few bushels of tomatoes, beans, corn, cucumbers and some peppers. Any fruit would be great but with late frosts this year that might not happen either.

So for now all I have is 4 quarts of freezer jam. We dont even like freezer jam that much but there just wasn't enough fruit to warrant heating the house up for the hot water bath. Wish me luck on scoring some great produce this year! :)

1 comment:

Gina said...

I'd love to hear more about dehydrating. I don't know much about it and am thinking of purchasing a dehydrator. What should I look for?
Gina