Pages

Dec 29, 2010

New Year Goals

Every year I write a list of goals for the coming year.  I choose a million different little things and then I forget them all by about May.  This year I decided to simplify.  I have only 3 things that I want to accomplish and 1 of those is a family goal.

1. Learn how to cook- Now I know how to cook just fine.  No one starves here and for the most part I make pretty dang food (except when entertaining....why is that?  Its always to salty then. hmmm).  This year I want to learn all those tricky terms that I normally gloss by in a recipe, things like braising and parboiling.  I am going to tackle some fancier things like creme brule and other treats.  By the end of the year I want to have a very good working knowledge of how to prepare meats (something that I do not excel at), have a large array of yummy vegetable dishes and master desserts beyond the normal cakes, pies and cookies.



2- Learn to be a photographer-  I love to take pictures.  I have literally thousands of pictures I have taken in the last couple of months.  I want to be able to start taking pictures professionally by the end of the year.  I plan on taking a class at the college if I can and checking out every book I can on the subject.  We have a nice camera so now it is just a matter of learning the ins and outs of it.


3- Establish a house of Prayer, Fasting, Faith, Learning, Glory, Order and God-  We choose this scripture as a goal for the whole family.  Over the last two years babies, stress and depression have gotten the best of me for long periods of time.  The order in our house has seriously been lacking and it has aided in making me even more stressed.  We are working on the old saying "A place for everything and everything in its place".  I used to take this quite to heart and was uber-organized but life has happened and well......  So that is our first goal of the 7.  We will move onto the others as we are ready but it will happen this year.



I will begin scouring all the cook books I have collected, watching youtube videos on both photography and cooking and I will be doing the unthinkable.......getting rid of books. :D  I collect books with a passion.  We know have books in every corner, on every shelf and quiet possibly under every bed!  They have to go.  I am getting rid of everything but our favorites.  I know that this will make me feel a million times better because there just wont be as much stuff!  I am excited.

So that is where I am starting this year.  Anyone else tackling some new goals?

No comments: