Pages

Nov 16, 2011

Ode to friendship


"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than
walking alone in the dark." Hellen Keller

Statistics show that it is as detrimental to
women's health to be without friendship as it is to smoke and drink to excess.

In 2006, a study of nearly 3,000 nurses with breast cancer
found that women without close friends were four times as likely to die from
the disease as women with 10 or more friends. And notably, proximity and the
amount of contact with a friend wasn’t associated with survival. Just having
friends was protective.


 

I originally started writing this post last week, or more exact at 2am when I was rocking a sick child.  I had amazingly eloquent words to share.  In the end I waited to long and all was lost.  But really friendship doesn't need a lot of gloss and beautiful words.  It's beautiful without them

I have been blessed to have fantastic friends for most of my life.  I have known a good portion of those nearest and dearest to me for close to 20 years.  How incredible is that!  Friendship is the balm that soothes horrible days, that brings tears to your eyes from laughter and is like a huge invisible hug.

Today I want my thanks to be only for friendship, for it truly is that important.  Reach out to a friend today.  Tell her your thinking of her and that you care for her.  Nurture your friendships because for us women, they truly are life-sustaining relationships.

A big thanks to all of those I call friends, internet or otherwise, for sharing the moments of this thing called life.  What a blessing it is to share it with others.

 

Todays Thanks.


1. Friendship.

1 comment:

Jane said...

What a great reminder! I love that quote by Helen Keller :) And she would know about walking in the dark! Happy {early} Thanksgiving!