Pages

Mar 25, 2009

My 10yr reunion

I graduated from high school 10 years ago this year. It seem like yesterday and forever ago at the same time. I was thinking today as I did the laundry about all the hope, dreams and goals I had for myself. Not many were accomplished and even at the time I dreamed them up I knew they werent really what I wanted. Thought I would share some with you.

1. I wanted to be a doctor (this is still something I toy with at times)
2. I wanted to be a stock broker: Only for the money though, the rest bored me to tears!
3. I wanted to live in a big city, big like NYC.
4. I planned on applying to college in NYC, Minneapolis, Seattle and Logan (it was my fall back application)
5. I never wanted kids AT.ALL.
6. I wanted to have fun with lots a friends and date lots of guys, but nothing serious, just fun.
7. I never wanted to get married.
8. I wanted to live in a studio apartment that I decorated(like on TV) in above mentioned big city and live quietly.....with a cat....or a goldfish.
9. I wanted to be a strong independant career woman.

As you can see none of those things happened, in fact most of the opposites occurred. And for this I am so greatful. I look at all the things I wanted back then and I know that I wouldnt have been happy. I would have been bored out of my mind, directionless and lonely. I am glad that over the last ten years I have come to see myself a little more clearly. While I still learn new things about myself all the time its nice to know that I didnt go the direction that I thought I wanted. Ten years after those goals or dreams I find myself staring at a field ready to grow vegetables in, loud screams shrieks and laughter come from the other room, the floor needs mopped and my school work still needs to be looked at and well......I'm totally happy with all of it.
Thank heavens you really dont know everything when you are young!

1 comment:

TheRetroHousewife said...

I loved your post. When we were in our senior years we had a project where we had to write where we thought we would be 5 years from then. I thought I would be married to my college sweetheart, living in NYC, working as an advertising executive and own a dog named Cleo. Well I've been out of school 13 years, I have 2 dogs, neither named Cleo, I have a daughter, I'm a housewife and I married a man from NYC but we decided not to live there lol.