Pages

Jun 2, 2009

Frugal Mixes and Meal Plans

I hate, hate, hate buying mixes for things like taco seasoning! Not only do I not want all the chemical crap they stick in there but really the price isn't that good of a deal! I have a bunch of seasoning packets in our food storage but I hate seeing them there! :) So being myself I hop online this morning and start searching. I stumbled onto this site Budget 101 and hit the pay load of make it yourself seasoning mixes! WOOT WOOT. There are over 100 recipes for mixes and marinades (some I have never heard of!) so today I will spend sticking spices in baggies and filling our pantry with chemical (well almost, my seasonings aren't organic) free odds and ends.

There is just something so satisfing about that.

I spent the first part of the morning making a muffin mix that can be a quick throw together breakfast. We love muffins here but for some reason they seem so tedious to put together in the morning, I dont know why but thats how it is! Anyway found another site that had a basic muffin mix and a bisquick type mix. Check them out on this site Bulk Cooking. The mix smelled great with all the cinnimon and nutmeg, I will give it a try tomorrow morning.

I am think that is all I will be doing mix wise (I am a from scratch cook) but I think it will save me money and well the nast chemicals and preservatives. :)

I planned on posting meal plans months ago but life got in the way and everything became chaotic. Now that things are a little mellow (for today right?) I will share the next 2 weeks dinner meals. I only list the main course because the other stuff is so dependant on my moods/cravings. :) Usually though we will have 3 vegetables with dinner and depending on the meal rolls or something like that. Some people wonder about my meals thinking "How in the heck does grilled potatoes fill you up!?" Just because there is no meat doesn't mean it isnt filling. In fact most Americans eat WAAAY more meat than they should and not enough vegetables. Our veggie filled meals are just as filling as a meat course but with a lot more variety. Anyway here is the next 2 weeks line up. By the way I print out a free calander each month to plan our meals, you can get it here at The Family Homestead. (She has other fantastic ideas and tips all over her site!)

Hamburgers and salad
Veggie Sandwiches on sourdough bread (YUMMY!)
Chef Salad
Veggie Enchiladas
Spagehtti
Baked Potatoes
Chicken and Rice
BBQ Hot Dogs (kids request lol)
Grilled Potatoes
Tin Foil Dinners
Fettuccini Alfredo
Chicken Salad
Fajita Beans
Taco Soup

Okay now I am hungry.....off for a snack!

No comments: