Pages

Jul 26, 2011

Strawberry Jam

Every year I put up lots of strawberry jam.  We used to live by an organic strawberry farm that sold their berries by the gallon.  Oh were they sweet and juicy, loved those berries!  Here the seasons are cooler and strawberries don't come on until mid July.  We don't have an organic farm anywhere near here but we do have a family that grows berries vertically.  I have never seen a more cool set up!  Hundreds of vertical styrofoam growers contain over 16,000 plants!  Amazing! 

I visited this mini farm Monday to pick of 5 cases of strawberries and headed back home to start the sticky mess of jam making.  We wiped down the kitchen, made a quick lunch and launched into the process.

Fresh Strawberries

Fresh Strawberries

Strawberry Slicing

Strawberry Slicing

Strawberry Slicing

Taste Tester

Rolling boil

I didn't have a big enough pan out for the first batch and nearly lost the whole thing!  It was a great day that I look forward to repeating for raspberries and peaches.  Oh how I love canning season!

No comments: