Pages

Aug 2, 2011

Experiment in Cabbage

I gave sauerkraut a try this last week. I harvested close to 20lbs of cabbage and needed something to do with it! I remember reading in Nourishing Traditions and again on GNOWFGLINS all about the wonders of Sauerkraut. I couldn't lactoferment it so I googled around. It turns out making sauerkraut is pretty easy, all you need is cabbage, salt and a masher. Simple enough for me.


011
Soaking the cabbage in salt water to get any bugs out. That would just be a nasty bite!


014
Caitlin shredding the cabbage. Isn't she awesome in her pioneer girl dress. She loves that thing and wears if often.


016
Salt layered on a section of cabbage. Salt removes the water from the cabbage in case you didn't know. :)


017
Mashing each layer of cabbage was the prized job in the kitchen that day. Everyone wanted that meat mallet!


019
I stuck a half pint jar filled with water inside the jar to keep the cabbage submerged in the water.


I have never eaten sauerkraut nor even smelled it for that matter. I have no idea what I am doing here but its all about learning new things right? I will let you know how it turns out as soon as its done!

No comments: