Pages

Dec 29, 2011

New year here

With 2012 so close I can almost taste it, I can't help but think of what will become of us.  Each year, come December, I sit in amazement and wonder at all that has come and gone in our lives.  365 little days and it seems like the whole world can change, and really  it does.

2011 has been a spectacular and hard year for us.  I have jumped with elation and wanted to crawl into bed because of stress.  This yeas has been filled with ups and downs it's the ups that are in my thoughts right now.  So many fine moments spent with these people I am blessed to call family.  So many minutes have passed while these crazy kids of mine have grown, changed and learned.  So many moments.

I have spent the last day or two pondering happiness.  Why does happiness come so easily for some but not for others?  I think it comes down to action and thoughts.  We can not be happy without action.  Ignoring something that does not bring us happiness eats away at us, letting seeds of resentment, anger, and self-hatred take root.  Action must happen for all things to change.  With that are thoughts.  We can not let ourselves be paralyzed by the "what ifs" or "but...." or even "maybe later".  Denial and excuses are toxic little poisons meant to take away any chance of happiness.  Positive empowering thoughts paired with action create a force within us to change even the worst of circumstances.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.--Theodore Roosevelt


This year I do not want to be one of those cold timid souls knowing neither victory or defeat.  This year I choose action.  I choose to find my happiness.  I choose to change with the possibility of defeat but I will not stand timid and cold with nothing gained.  I refuse to play into the negative thought patterns that can cripple me.  I choose action.  I have a choice to create a happy home and body.  I choose to act, to do the things I know that I must to get the fulfillment I want out of life.

This coming year I decided to toss resolutions aside and adopt a word (an idea I picked up from the wonderful Heidi at Mount Hope Chronicles).  One single word that will be the focus of my year.  My focus word for 2012 is Health.  Without a healthy mind, body, marriage, and home there can not be happiness.  This year  Health is number 1.

I challenge all of you to make a change this year.  Hop on the treadmill if you need to lose a little weight, call up an old friend and reconnect, let go of family baggage that can drag you down, or even take up knitting and make scarves for everyone you know.  Change something this year for yourself and family.  Choose to change something that will empower you and make you feel like more.

May you all have a wonderful New Years. If you are inclined to do so, share your resolutions, theme, or word with us in the comments or on Facebook.  The more we can encourage the more we can accomplish.

Until 2012.....

 

No comments: