Pages

Apr 2, 2012

Making fresh cheese

So now that you have read my overly energized post about, of all things, dairy products I will let you know that I have no plans to stop.  Cami, the wonderful farm owner, has offered to teach me how to make fresh chevre, goat milk lotion and goat milk soap.  How awesome is she!?  I'm not sure she even had all the words out before I started nodding and smiling a million dollar smile.  Can you tell I play my cards close to the heart?  Yeah, I should say that I have a great poker face too....or not.

Anyway so here in the next week or so I am going to get my tushy over to her place (and amazing kitchen) for a little DIY lesson.

fresh garlic chevre


Before that happens though I will be placing a order with Cultures for Health.  I plan on stocking up on a bunch of goodies like kefir grains, and Greek yogurt starter.  I am still doing a little research on the kind of cheese starter cultures I want.  I was taking a course on sourdough from Gnowfglins a while back and noticed they have a cheese making course available now.  I might go for the cheese course and get the package through Cultures for Health.  Decisions decisions.

kefir



{Photo credit} 
Home dairy products has been on my things to-do list for a long time now.  Now that I can't just run over to the store and grab a carton of sour cream it's time to get in gear.  I have to admit that I like the world of possibilities before me.

I will post pictures of the cheese making process after my lesson next week.  There are a million others available out there but it seems right to have a few of my own. ;)

If you have any been there done that tips for me, please leave a comment so I can benefit from your wisdom!

PS- Sorry for the million links.  If you are interested in joining me on a cheese making journey, check a few of them out.  I do get a couple of pennies thrown my way for the Cultures for Health site but nothing else. 
 

No comments: